Asparagus Quiche is a delicious, savory egg custard pie, filled with fluffy eggs, fresh asparagus, Swiss, and Gruyere cheeses. This vegetarian quiche recipe is perfect to make for a spring holiday brunch or a quick weeknight dinner.
- 1 9-inch pie crust, homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed (see notes regarding size of spears)
- 2 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, or a combination of both
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream, or other milk of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon, or 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
Bake crust at 425° F. for 6-7 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° F.
Blanch the asparagus spears by boiling them in water for 2 minutes, and then place them immediately into an ice water bath to stop the cooking.
Drain and cool. Cut the asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
In a bowl, combine the asparagus pieces and onions; add flour and toss to coat. Spread evenly across the bottom of the crust; sprinkle shredded cheese over the veggies.
Whisk together eggs, cream, salt, tarragon, and cayenne; pour over asparagus mixture.
Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center of the quiche comes out clean.
Let quiche sit for 10 minutes before cutting.