Bacon cheddar cornbread is the perfect blend of carbs with bacon! Extra moist, thanks to help from creamed corn, it’s got a wonderful touch of sweetness, making it a perfect snack any time of the day! It’s also the perfect side dish to serve with your weeknight dinner recipes.
- Dry Ingredients
- 5.2 ounces (1-1/4 cups) homemade baking mix
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute (I used Erythritol)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup cooked bacon, diced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used cheddar)
- Wet Ingredients
- 1 egg (or two egg whites) lightly beaten
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) creamed corn
- 8 ounces (1 fluid cup) low-fat milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 ounces (1/4 liquid cup) canola or vegetable oil
Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
Placed 1 tablespoon butter or oil into a seasoned 9-inch cast iron or oven safe skillet; place pan into the oven to heat while you prepare your cornbread batter.
To a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients except for bacon and cheese; whisk to combine, and set bowl aside.
To a medium mixing bowl, add all wet ingredients; whisk to combine. Pour wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and use a mixing spatula or wooden spoon to stir until dry ingredients are all moistened. Add bacon and cheese; stir to combine.
Remove hot pan from oven and pour cornbread batter into it and use a spatula to cover entire bottom of pan, if necessary.
Return pan to the hot oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove pan from oven and serve warm with butter and honey, if desired.