- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) butter, or organic vegetable shortening
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 15 ounces (2 cups) sugar, or low carb sweetener
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8.4 ounces ( 2 cups) all purpose flour, , low carb baking mix or almond flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, , or low carb powdered sweetener
Add chocolate and butter to a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until contents have melted completely and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
Add eggs, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Use a whisk to incorporate the cooled chocolate mixture, then use a mixing spatula or spoon to gently fold in the flour. Be careful not to over mix. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours before proceeding. (The longer you allow it to chill, the less the cookies will spread.)
When ready to bake, heat oven to 375 F.
Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
Shape dough into balls approximately 1.5 Tablespoons (0.8 ounces) in size. Roll each ball in confectioner’s sugar to coat completely, then space 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
Bake cookies for 9-10 minutes, or until edges are just set. Remove pans from oven and allow cookies to cool on pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.
Recipe adapted from The Better Homes and Gardens NEW Cookbook (16th ed.), by Meredith Corporation; published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt