Cranberry muffins are tall, bakery style, moist muffins topped with plenty of crumbly oat streusel on the top. This heart healthy muffins recipe a great way to kick start any morning.
For the Muffins:
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, not instant or quick cooking
- 8.4 oz whole wheat flour, 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3.7 ounces dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup packed
- 3.7 ounces Erythritol , or white granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces avocado oil , or melted (and cooled) butter (1/4 liquid cup)
- 2 ounces unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or skim milk (1/4 liquid cup)
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt, vanilla or plain flavored
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste , or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries
For the Streusel Topping:
- 2 ounces whole wheat flour, (1/4 cup)
- 2 Tablespoons old fashioned rolled oats, not instant or quick cooking
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 3 ounces dark brown sugar, (1/3 cup packed)
- 3 ounces Erythritol , or granulated white sugar (1/3 cup)
- 2 ounces melted butter, 1/4 cup
Adjust oven rack to middle position; Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Line 12 cups of a muffin pan with paper liners, or grease with non-stick cooking spray.
Make the Streusel:
Combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, oats and salt in a bowl. Add melted butter and toss with fork until evenly moistened and mixture forms large chunks with some pea-size pieces throughout; set aside.
Make the Muffins:
Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl; whisk to combine and set aside. In a separate bowl, add eggs and all of the wet ingredients. Whisk to combine, then pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine, just until flour is incorporated. To prevent dry muffins, take care not to over mix batter. Gently stir in the cranberries
Fill each muffin cup almost completely full and sprinkle streusel over the top of each muffin. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown in color and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out dry or with a few wet crumbs. Remove pan from oven and allow muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing them from the pan and transferring to a wire rack for a couple of minutes before serving.