Chai spiced apple butter is SO quick and easy to make in an Instant Pot multicooker or a slow cooker! This delicious homemade apple butter recipe has NO ADDED SUGAR! Can be served as a spread on toast or crackers, as a healthy dip for fruit or vegetables, a topping for meats, or even in desserts!
- 5 pounds apples*, peeled, cored, and cut into 1⁄2-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar, optional
Additional Ingredient for Multicooker/Instant Pot
- 1/4 cup apple cider
For Electric Multicooker/Instant Pot:
Core the apples (leave the peels on, if desired) and cut into quarters.
Add the apples and apple cider to the multicooker. Cover and cook for 20 minutes at high pressure, then allow pressure to release naturally. This should take about 10 minutes.
Use an immersion blender to puree the contents of the cooker. If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer contents into a blender to puree them, then transfer the puree back to the multicooker.
Add the spices and sugar (if using) to the pot.
Press sauté and cook uncovered for 20-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apple butter is thick enough that a wooden spoon will stand up in it. Note that if you did not add sugar, it will take longer for the apple butter to reduce and thicken.
For Slow Cooker:
Place the apple slices into the slow cooker crock.
In a small bowl, mix the vanilla extract, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, turmeric, and salt together; Stir the spice mixture into the apples gently but thoroughly. Cover the crock, but vent the lid using a chopstick or the handle of a wooden spoon.
Cook on low 7 to 8 hours, stirring once or twice if you are home. You want the apples to break down and thicken.
- *Phyllis used McIntosh apples. I used Granny Smith. I think any cooking apple (or a variety of several) would be wonderful.
- **Nutritional data shown is for one pint, not per serving.