- 1 tbsp liquid smoke, (optional)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 whole orange
- 3 lbs bone-in beef short ribs
- salt and pepper to season
Homemade Barbecue Sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked chipotle powder, (optional)
- 1/4 Tablespoon chili powder
Season ribs liberally with salt and pepper on both sides of the rack.
Place trivet in the instant pot and ribs on top of the trivet in a circular fashion.
Add water, liquid smoke, juice from one orange and the leftover orange slices, into the Instant Pot.
Secure lid and set on manual pressure at High for 25 minutes. Allow for natural release for an additional 15 minutes.
While the ribs are cooking, place all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan over medium heat; stir to combine. Bring contents to a simmer and cook until sauce thickens and becomes darker in color, about 10-15 minutes.
Remove from heat and await ribs.
Upon removal of the ribs from the instant pot, place onto a tin foil lined baking sheet and coat both sides of ribs with your homemade BBQ sauce.
Broil in the oven on high for 2-3 minutes each side.