This Italian meatball soup recipe is warm and comforting, and beyond easy to make. It’s made in a slow cooker,so it’s a hands off dinner recipe, and it uses frozen cocktail sized meatballs and a few simple ingredients. It’s a must make soup recipe!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- 2 stalks celery, diced small
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef bone broth , or organic beef stock
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 pound cooked cocktail size Italian meatballs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more or less, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper , more or less, to taste
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS
Add all ingredients except oil into a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir well to combine. Cover and heat on low for 4-5 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS
Add oil to a medium, heavy bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add carrots, onion and celery. Cook over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Push the vegetables aside to one side of the pan. Add tomato paste; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until tomato paste begins to caramelize.
Add garlic and seasonings. Mix well. Stir in tomatoes and stock, and bring to a simmer. Cut meatballs in half and add to soup. Simmer an additional 10 to 12 minutes; season to taste with salt and pepper.