- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (approx. 2 large breasts)
- 2 medium yellow or white onions, peeled and diced
For the BBQ Sauce
- 3 cups organic ketchup
- 3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 3 ounces (1/3 liquid cup) cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tablespoons molasses
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon liquid smoke
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea or Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
Prepare BBQ Sauce
Place all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan over medium heat; stir to combine.
Bring contents to a simmer and cook until sauce thickens and becomes darker in color, about 10-15 minutes.
When refrigerated in a well covered container, the sauce will store well for up to 2 months.
Prepare Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken
Place chicken breasts and diced onion into the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover with sauce and stir to coat.
Using manufacturer’s instructions to operate the slow cooker, cook on high for 3–4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. Chicken is done when meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of the breast reaches at least 163 degrees F. and chicken is starting to break apart on its own.
After chicken has cooked, carefully remove breasts from cooker and transfer to a cutting board. Use two forks to pull the chicken apart and into shredded pieces. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and stir into the BBQ sauce. Allow chicken to cook on low for another 15 minutes.
Serving Suggestion Serve on buns, wrapped in flour tortillas, over rice, or on top of a garden salad.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment and rate it!
Recipe slightly adapted from Little Dairy on the Prairie