Thin Mint Truffle Cupcakes with a mint truffle inside the cupcake! If you love the iconic Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies, you’re gonna LOVE this minty chocolate recipe.
- 24 chocolate mint cookies (Girl Scout Thin Mints or Keebler Grasshopper), finely crushed (I used a food processor)
- 4 1/2 ounces chocolate cream cheese, softened (or plain cream cheese + 1 tsp cocoa powder)
- 24 chocolate mint cookies (Girl Scout Thin Mints or Keebler Grasshopper), crushed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk, any variety
CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT GANACHE
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate , (chips or finely chopped bar)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
Blend crushed Thin Mints and cream cheese until fully mixed. Shape into 1″ balls, place on a baking sheet, and refrigerate while making the cupcake batter.
Heat oven to 350 F. Line 24 cupcake wells with paper liners.
Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
Beat sugar and melted butter together on medium speed until well combined. Add eggs and beat to combine.
Combine milk and sour cream together. Pour combined milk and sour cream mixture into sugar butter mixture bowl.
Beginning with the flour mixture, add flour and butter milk mixture alternately with three additions of flour and two additions of butter milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until just combined.
Stir in the crushed cookies until combined.
Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full with batter. Place truffle into the center of each liner and top with more batter until 2/3 full. Bake for 19-26 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
While cupcakes are still warm, make the ganache. Place chocolate in a medium to large bowl. Bring heavy cream, butter, and mint extract just to a boil. Pour hot cream mixture over chocolate and let sit for about 5 minutes. Stir until the mixture is smooth and glossy (may take about 3 minutes of stirring)
Dip the top of each cupcake into the ganache and turn upright or use an offset spatula to spread an even layer of ganache over the top of each cupcake.
OPTIONAL: While the ganache is still wet, decorate with colored sugar, sprinkles, or other toppings as desired.